Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Our Last Single Supper

This is probably the first time that D.L. and I have stayed here in Maryland and didn't go to either Louisiana or Cleveland to visit family for the holidays.  At first, we planned to just eat dinner out somewhere and not do anything special...just keep it low key.  Notice I said, at first!  Well, the day of Thanksgiving, D.L. woke up and said he's going to make some collard greens, so what am I going to make?  Okay, the no cooking plan is officially out of the window.  So, what did we end up doing?

  1. Seafood and Sausage Gumbo -- I just had a taste for a down home dish
  2. Roasted herb rubbed Cornish hens 
  3. Cheesy Mac N Cheese
  4. Fresh String Beans with sliced garlic cloves
  5. Spring Mix salad with bell pepper, onions, cranberries, apples and feta
  6. Homemade Cherry Cheesecake
  7. Fresh Rolls
Yep, just for the two of us!  Notice that the greens were never made...all of the stores were out of greens here, imagine that!  So after it was all done, we looked at each other and said, so WHO is this for??  Oh, well.  Once I began cooking, I figured we'd may as well make a hardy meal of it!  I must say, that I was sitting while the pasta boiled, while the rolls rose and as the roux began to bubble.  I could feel the pregnancy all while I was cooking!

Sorry, no pics to prove it...I was caught up in the day, but trust me, it was a lovely, last, just the two of us kind of day!  I got all nostalgic and told D.L. that this is the last Thanksgiving that it will be just us...we can plan on having company for the rest of our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment