Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cherishing Each Moment



Many of my family and friends always asked if I was going to have children and I always said probably so.  They would ask me that question, because I've been so focused on my career and taking career opportunities without regard for family.  Now, that it seems like I have everything, a great career, a loving husband and a phenomenal baby, what else could I ask for.   Really, I say this prior to going back to work, so I pray for balance!

When we went home to Shreveport, it was funny because my sisters, nieces, nephews and mom kept looking at me saying, AL has a baby!  My niece even said to me, "it's funny to hear you say, my baby".  Yes, it's still funny to hear myself say it, but oh so natural to me now.

I've noticed a tremendous change in my priorities, my capacity to love and an increase in patience.  And to my family, it's like watching another person.  Not that I was living with the absence of all those things, but they've certainly been enhanced now that I've become a mom.

So, when I say I've been changed by JSL, there's so many things I could do, but I'd rather do with her than with anyone else and no one I'd rather be with than with her.  I've noticed that when I go to the mall now, I'm in Baby Gap, Children's Place, Gymboree, and other baby stores!  I actually had no desire to shop for myself.

Perhaps I'm being extra sentimental because this is my LAST week of maternity leave and I know that the time we've had together, uninterrupted by the stressors of my career, has been so special.  When I left work the first week of January, everyone said, enjoy your time, it goes fast!  Yes, it does and it did!  My mommy/daughter time has been so precious to me!

In just 11 weeks, I've seen so much!  I've seen my baby go from Newborn clothes and diapers to size 0-3 months and size 1 in diapers.  I've seen her baby gaze move to a laser focus on my eyes as she now knows I'm her mother!  I've seen her expressions change from sad to scared to secure to happy and I've enjoyed seeing each one!  I've seen her little 6 lb body get chubbier to a now 11 lb package!  I've seen her sleep all day to now enjoying her awake time filled with activities like tummy time, reading, conversation (with all her baby coos), and learning sensory and motor skills development.

I've seen so much spending all day with her and I know that I will miss much of her life during the day as I go back to work, but the sacrifice has to be made to offer her the life of opportunities we want her to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment