Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Natural Birth??

Last week when I came in from work, I had a surprise waiting on me from Daddy L.  I think he's been preparing himself for not just being a Daddy, but for labor & delivery also.  When I came in, he started prepping me by asking was I going to have a natural delivery.  We never really talked about how I would deliver, because I've just always said that getting an epidural was going to be my "natural" birth!  So I said, why do you ask?  And the he told me that he recorded an episode of A Baby Story for me to watch.  My first thought was, that is so sweet, he's really getting into the fatherhood thing!  I have NO doubt he will be an AMAZING Daddy, but I wasn't sure how involved he'd be in the "prep work".  (Especially since he hasn't even cracked the book I bought him on "Tips for the Expectant Father").  But to my surprise, Daddy L. had been watching episodes of A Baby Story!

So, I looked up the episode on the DVR list and what do I see?  A natural water birth!  Hmmmmm.  So how do I respond to this?  So, Daddy L. looks at me and says, the lady in this episode was like 25 and weighs 100 pounds, you can do this.  Besides, it's better for the baby not to have any drugs and safer for the both of you.  There are a lot of risks with getting epidurals.  Again. Hmmmmm.  So how do I respond to this, because I see in his face and eyes that he's dead serious.

I didn't totally dismiss his concerns.  I said, well I know several people that got epidurals and they are all perfect and fine.  He hates when I bring in others to our conversation!   So, I said okay, I will think about that and research more on natural births.  How did it get to this??  I'm keeping an open mind now.  I have a couple of friends who delivered naturally and they live by the natural birthing approaches, so I will explore what I think my mind and body can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment