Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lifesavers

As I planned for motherhood, I really had NO idea what was most useful or what's useful at all, and I even didn't know what  JSL would like.  Now that I'm 6-weeks into all things baby, I figured I'd list a few things that have been most useful while I experience this journey.

As I've said before, she doesn't have many needs at this point. All of her needs center around sleeping, feeding, playing, bathing and diaper changing!

For help sleeping ~

Over the weekend, the controversy began when 5-year old Suri Cruise was spotted with a pacifier.  Honestly, I think 5 is way too old; however, I am a believer in the pacifier!
5-years old!

My choice of pacifier is the Philips Avent Orthodontic style.  
This position in the pic looks odd, but holding her pacifier and leaning her to the side puts her to sleep everytime!  The books that I've read say not to use a sleep prop such as this, but when you're tired of wailing cries, it's now time to pull out the ole faithful sleep technique!

This Eddie Bauer sleep bouncer has been a lifesaver when I need to do my thing and allow her to sit by herself!  This bouncer has a motion and natural sound feature that helps to keep her occupied.

Believe it or not, this Max Daniel blanket has helped to put her to sleep many nights!  It really is the softest blanket around!  She likes to be wrapped in the blanket, rocked with her pacifer and she's out like a light.  It's also been a great photo prop for me when I take pics of her.

This Britax Infant Car seat has not only been stylish (to me, not DL), but it ALWAYS helps put her to sleep.  Really, it's been a combination of the car/stroller motion, but the way the seat contours her, I have to imagine that she feels snug, safe and secure.

For Playing ~
During her activity time, this activity center has been especially helpful for sensory and stimulation for the 10 - 15 minutes that she allows us to keep her on it.  She looks at the mirror and the lights and it will only be a matter of time before I get some tummy time use out of it also!

This is one of her favorite books!  I especially like this book because it shows a little chocolate girl like her!  At this stage, JSL is recognizing smiles and faces and this book helps to reinforce that type of stimulation.  Right after feeding, I can read this book to her at least 3 times!

For Bathtime ~

I really like the Puj tub too for bathtime.  When I came home from the hospital, I had consistent backaches from leaning over to change her diapers, picking her up, and giving her a bath.  I found that if I could limit all the bending over as much as possible, it will help with the backaches.  This sink tub helps with that!  It also submerges her more in the tub than when I was using a regular basin, so bathtime is not such an evil task like it was!

For diaper changes ~

I am a Pampers Swaddlers user.  She is now out of Newborn diapers and on to size 1 now!  Now that she's 9lbs, she's a big girl now!  I like the absorbency of these diapers.  Even when they are wet, they feel dry on her bottom so diaper rashes have not been an issue at all yet.

For Feeding ~

For the first few weeks that I began nursing, this lanolin nipple cream was a huge lifesaver!  The success of this cream to alleviate the pain was a matter of breast or bottle feeding!  I'm happy to say that at six weeks in, nursing has become a breeze!  However, the downside for me is larger boobs.  Many women would love this problem, but I have more to say on this issue later!

The Medela Pump In-Style has been convenient, effective and efficient!  I'm pumping twice a day and nursing, so this was my pump of choice.  My girlfriend introduced me to her brand pump, Ameda Purely Yours and I plan to use that one in my office when I go back to work, so it's also a good back-up pump.

My Brest Friend!  Some people have a candle, lotion, or magazines beside the bed.  I have my Brest Friend.  It's convenient to pull out and do what I need to do for baby girl.  I admit, that I get lazy and use the lying down feeding technique, but I try to only default to that style during the middle of the night.

Gotta love this image!
My life is no longer MY life...my body is no longer, MY body!

No comments:

Post a Comment