Sunday, March 13, 2011

S.I.D.S - She.Isn't.Dead.Stupid


There's so much information out there for a new mom from breastfeeding tips, best baby gear bargains, how to get your baby to sleep through the night and the list goes on and on!  But the piece of information I continue to worry about most is how to prevent SIDS!  I'm not sure when this feeling goes away or if it ever goes away, but Nervous Nellie is my name!

I say to myself, She.Isn't.Dead.Stupid (S.I.D.S.) because this neurotic feeling of "is my child breathing" can counter all of the productive lessons I've learned on how to get my baby to sleep through the night.  Though JSL is on a 3-hour schedule, she's now at the point where she wakes up only once or twice at night.  However, I wake up about 6 times throughout the night..."just to check on her"!  So, I look at her, I check to see if I see her breathing, then I gently touch her "just to make sure"!  Then I tell myself, She Isn't Dead Stupid!  And then I look to my left and Daddy Lav is knocked out snoring.  Okay, is it just me or is it  a mom-thing??

One thing I know is that these hyper-alert feelings don't just show their face at bedtime!

When we're in the car, I want to get one of those Baby On Board signs to tell the evil drivers of the world, that I'm carrying precious cargo.  I won't get one because I think it's a little over the top and I never wanted to be "that mom", but I certainly see why some parents have them!

I also find myself carrying JSL in whichever arm is opposite of the staircase, just to make sure I don't accidentally toss her over!  Being a mother absolutely increases all of these "be extra cautious and careful" senses that used to lay dormant in my child-free life.

These hyperalert senses reminds me of one of my girlfriends who breaks her almost 18-month old daughter's puff snacks into small pieces so that she won't choke.  It sounds rational, but the snacks are specifically made to melt in the child's mouth, so that they don't choke!  So, in essence, I know it's not just me, just another burden that a mother bears!

3 comments:

  1. This was a very good blog...She.Isnt.Dead.Stupid was stellar. My suggestion to you is have a CPR class Nervous Nelly..

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...this made me laugh out loud several times. All of those feelings are SO normal. It is crazy the terrible thoughts that begin to enter our minds as moms. Why do we torment ourselves? Luke insisted on getting the "Baby on Board" sign for our car--as he often screamed out in rage to drivers too. Oh and the puffs story--LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ericka - Then I'd be saying, "I wonder if I need to use CPR on her"! It's a crazy feeling.

    CCM - It's SO true~! You didn't warn me about this! :-) So, you are one of those B.O.B mamas!

    ReplyDelete